Affiliate links are used in this article
As many of you may or may not know I enrolled in some interior design courses recently. I regret that I did not pursue this when I was in college, I have always been a creative person who visually comprehended things. Finally in my mid-30s I want to learn and apply my learnings in interior design and apply to my own home and help others possibly.
Some of the key things to start off my learnings has really made me think twice of my placement of furniture and items in a room from the start. Here is what I have learned so much:
I have literally looked at every big piece of furniture and lighting in every room of my home now when it comes to function. Function is everything, I now look at the following:
- Where are the entrances to the room – this helps to understand where to place furniture and much more
- Where are the outlets and how many are there – this tells me what light fixtures we can have or how many we need.
- What does the flooring look like – Is it practical basically? Does it work for your lifestyle?
- What kind of furniture looks good and is functional in the space – if you like to read then you will probably want seating that is comfortable, by a light fixture/outlet and looks good.
This is the area that people like to spend the most time in! The decorating and the styling part. When it comes to this area this is what I think about or look for:
- What style home do you like?
- What basic features in a space do you love?
- What elements of furniture speaks to you?
- This part will define the type of space you are looking for whether it is a traditional feel, cozy feel, minimal furniture feel, brightness, small furniture etc.
I feel like since I have been in school this part has gained a lot of my attention. A good example that I can think of is buying a one of a kind pair of shoes and you have no outfits to go with it. No matter what you put with those shoes there is no harmony in your outfit. Ensure your interiors and space have some kind of harmony (color, style furniture, sameness). Some of the easiest ways to harmonize in interior design is the following:
I am excited to continue my studies and become an effective interior designer. Hope I can continue to share my journey with you all! Anything you want to see more of?